Pricing, Products, and Refund Policy
FAQs and the Benefits of Self-Directing Retirement Accounts
Rocket Dollar Crowdfunding Campaign on Republic
Investing and Alternative Asset Classes
Self-Directed IRA (Traditional, Roth, or Beneficiary)
Self-Directed Solo 401(k) (Traditional or Roth)
- Self-Directed Solo 401(k) FAQs
- Opening a Rocket Dollar Self-Directed Solo 401(k) Account
- Structure and Titling
- Contributions and Contribution Limits
- IRS-Related Questions
- Rolling Over/Transferring Old Accounts
- Solo 401(k) Traditional Contributions
- Solo 401(k) Roth Contributions
- Solo 401(k) Loans
- Uncommon Questions
Self-Directing Retirement Compliance and Self Care
Partnering with Rocket Dollar
Fundraising with Rocket Dollar
Specific State Rules
Privacy, Security, Identity, and Fraud
What are the self-directed real estate investment rules and prohibited transactions?
The Self-Directed IRA owner and disqualified family members must not benefit, live, or vacation at the property. All expenses and revenue must flow to and from the IRA.
- Your retirement account is not allowed to purchase real estate you already own. The IRA and IRA funds must be listed as the buyer, not personal dollars.
- You and other disqualified people may not use the property (see disqualified person list here).
- You and other disqualified people may not perform any property repairs or improvements. Personally, a third-party must be hired to do any repairs to the property. You can still oversee and monitor workers hired by your IRA, but you can't do physical work.
- When in doubt, if you can easily remove yourself from the day-to-day business, it’s best to do so and use a trusted, non-disqualified person. Here is a list of acceptable substitutes.
Want to read more?
- Want to invest in an authorized real estate option? Here are the key factors that you should consider before choosing an investment property.
- Was your original intent a prohibited transaction? Why you should still consider investing in real estate.
- An overview of the different types of real estate assets: A Minute With Dan (Video).